Something quick and interesting I did the other day was write a random tree generator at West London Hack Night. We chose to do it in C, which was a change from the normal higher-level languages. I was quite pleased that we ended up with something fairly simple and elegant and got it done within the allotted time. You can see the results up to that point on GitHub.
I’ve updated my site with WordPress. As much fun as I’ve had writing my own CMS from scratch, my spare time is finding itself dedicated to other projects, and PHP just doesn’t have the same draw to me as it used to. So, in addition the new website launch, this is the official announcement of my latest project, Alice.
Alice is a widget library which I didn’t initially set out to write; it just sort of happened. In the process of working on a game, I realised that I needed something to create the assets. I needed characters, levels and eventually, music (there are plans for a synthesiser). Ideally I would have something that I could get some creative helpers to use. To start out with, I was using Blender with a few Python plugins, and then later also Inkscape. As the game engine developed, I needed to attach more data to the entities in the levels and it was getting more and more fiddly.
Having started to use and embrace Lua in the game engine, the natural solution seemed to be to build a widget library entirely from scratch. It would use C, SDL and OpenGL at its core, and Lua for the high level logic. It’s taken a while, but I’ve now got to the point where I can almost put together a complete model editor.
In the meantime, the Raspberry Pi was launched and as soon as I got my hands on one, I ported the code – the game engine and the widget library. With the Pi I could use EGL to take control of the display and run the entire thing as an kiosk-like appliance. No window managers for me.
As more ideas about how I could use my library on the Pi came to me, I split the widget code out from the game engine properly and gave it a name: Alice – Alice and Lua In Combination, Excellent – recursive, as all good project names are. I put the code up on GitHub about a month ago, but as I’ve recently built a working text box, now seems as good a time as any to officially announce the project to the world.
So here it is. Enjoy.